Friday, June 19, 2009

Holding hands....



I don't know at which point in a child's life they STOP holding their parents' hand, but I'm sure it's a sad day. Most of parenting and childhood is bittersweet. Our goal is to raise them but yet why do we want time to stand still when they are so young and "innocent" (not using that word in a theological sense). Saylor and I had a deep conversation about life and the aging process tonight. She really DID NOT like to hear that when she is my age I'll be Mimi and Nana's age... She said "you are going to get OLD?" (sorry Mimi and Nana). I said "yes, of course honey, we all will get old, even you". She made the cutest little "disgusted face" and then said "Well mommy, when I get old and die, will you hold my hand on my way to go see Jesus since it's up real high"?
So tonight after I laughed, I realized that was a moment, tonight is a moment I wanted to "freeze" and remember. I really wish time could stand still tonight.

1 comment:

SunshineBarlowe.com said...

I remember thinking about the holding hands comment you made.. because somewhere in between the age of six and seven.. Killian just didn't "need" to hold my hand anymore. Every once in a while (like the other day) he grabbed my hand - just like old times.. swinging it back and forth, back and forth..talking the whole time..and I smiled inside. I have missed it so much.