Monday, July 13, 2009

Her burdened heart....

I'm quickly realizing that I have one obsessive little girl... SAYLOR. She is such a fun but odd child at times. I love watching life through her eyes. She sees things untainted. She imagines without fear and loves with no boundaries. Watching her brings me back to fond memories of my childhood. I love ALL my kids (obviously), but with each age comes different developmental processes and right now I'm thoroughly enjoying Saylor's 4 yr. old mind.

Someone we know posted a link to a family who recently discovered that their 5 yr. old daughter has a very aggressive brain tumor. Her name is Kate Mcrae (www.prayforkate.com) For a very apparent reason (blond hair, blue eyes, and her age) Saylor has really taken to this little girl who she has never met. From the time she wakes up to the time she goes to bed she is BEGGING me to show her the video's posted of her on youtube. She will replay them OVER AND OVER again. She mimics little phrases that Kate makes, sings the lyrics to the song by Robbie Seay Band on video, and is asking 1001 questions. She prays for little Kate before every meal and before bedtime. (Keller who is unaware of the situation prays for Kate as well just b/c he hears Saylor obsessing over it). We pray for many people, so what has made Saylor especially concerned for this little girl? When I mention Kate's name, Saylor's little ears perk up and I know that I have 100% of her undivided attention. It's been an amazing tool to teach her about God, sickness, death, Christ, life, etc. Every day she asks "So did God decide to give little Kate another day to live, because I prayed for her last night"? And every day I get to tell her, "Yes honey, God DID decide to give her today". It's really had me thinking about how I spend my day with my kids. I have put myself in Kate's moms shoes many of times. What if I were to wake up one morning to see Saylor's little hand tremor... take her to Dr. then hear the devestating news that she has an aggressive malignant brain tumor?

So many times I just assume I'll have tomorrow.. but tomorrow is not promised to us. Being home with 4 kids is a juggling act and I'm constantly saying "not now", "maybe later" "please wait", "hold on", but all we have is the present. I'm committing today to put my kids needs above mine. To show them that THEY matter more than my "wants". To let them know that if today is all we have then I will give them 100% of my attention and love. What a gift today is.

Please pray for little Kate. She has a very tough and long rode ahead of her.

1 comment:

SunshineBarlowe.com said...

thanks for making me cry :)
i love you girl.
and we'll be praying for kate.