Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Stranger....

I had such a good laugh today. I took the kids out to pick up a few things and we were in the store when an odd elderly woman approached us. She wanted to see the twins and kept trying to touch them and pick them up. She appeared to be homeless. She was oohing and aahing over the twins so much then turned to Keller and said "Oh honey, I'm sorry, I know you need love and hugs too, so come give Grandma a hug". He wasn't into her too much but allowed her to hug him (as he was busy looking at toys). Then she said to Saylor "come to grandma and give me a hug" (to which Saylor gave her a huge bear hug-UNLIKE SAYLOR). I felt bad for this woman, it seemed the hug was more for her. She obviously didn't have anywhere to be and would've talked all day, at the same time, I was a little worried that my kids sense of a "stranger" seemed to be missing. The woman was starting to get into our "personal space" a little too much, so we had to say our good byes and go to the opposite side of the store. When I reached a safe place I leaned down to Saylor and said "Honey, do you remember our conversation about strangers?" She replied "yes". I said "well honey, you KNOW that was a stranger, right"? She replied EMPHATICALLY, "No Mommy, that was NOT a stranger", and I argued back, "yes honey it was". She argues back, "NO IT WAS NOT"... and I ask, "OK then, well who was she"? and she said "IT WAS GRANDMA!!!". Oh how sweet and innocent she was in that moment and I busted out laughing.... We had a talk in the car about how that was a nice lady, but some people may purposefully be deceitful to get kids away from their mommies...

On another note... Keller mentioned today that he "can't wait to grow up and be human".

I love the things kids say....

3 comments:

Buffy said...

oh my gosh... not sure which to comment on first... that fact that Saylor is easily convinced she has a brand new grandma, or that keller can't wait to be a human. I love your kids!! Man, I'm going to start writing this stuff down. Yep, just like grandma used to do :)

SunshineBarlowe.com said...

That is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.. girl, I was laughing out loud at this one.. that is so cute. .

Erin S said...

That is so sweet and innocent!

Just remember there were times in the Bible when an angel came appearing as a human... And God may have used you and your family to touch someone! You never know!!