Friday, October 17, 2008

FRATERNAL TWINS CONFIRMED!!!


Well we actually made it to the appointment on time today!!! I had NO idea what news awaited us and am STILL in shock. Within the 1st 5 minutes of the ultrasound we came to realize that we are NO LONGER (or never really were) having 2 boys!!!!!! We are INDEED having ONE BOY (twin A) and twin B has suddenly transformed into our little girl (or our OB guessed wrong). Words can't express how truly excited I am! I was of course excited for 2 boys, but the thought of not having another daughter was a little sad....Saylor came with us to the appointment and the look on her face was priceless. She is so excited! I must have asked 100 times "are you sure?" and without any doubt from the Dr. (or many nurses) she is a GIRL! So ..... this means they are confirmed as fraternal twins.... 2 eggs were fertilized, they have separate amniotic sacs and separate placenta's!!! This evens the score out 3 to 3!!!

Aside from the gender change, everything else genetically checked out perfectly! Both babies are measuring exactly the same size down to the day! They are 19 weeks and 1 day. They both are 1/2 pound and about 7 inches long (head to rump). Our little boy is head down with his feet wrapped up 3 inches above my belly button, while his sister is breech and her head is within perfect kicking range for him. He was kicking her in the head during the whole ultrasound which was rather amusing! Our boy is on my left side of the belly while our girl is on the right side. All their bones measured correctly for their gestation, their hearts were free from genetic or chromosome markers. Their spines were perfectly formed, no cleft palates, club foot, etc.... The umbilical cords were pumping blood sufficiently both directions and they were both surrounded by PLENTY of amniotic fluid! Dr. Mullen (our perintologist) checked my cervix and was hoping it was atleast 2.5 but was aiming for 3.0 and it measured 4.5!!!! What does this mean? I guess it means they aren't going to "fall" out anytime soon! If my cervix was 2.5 I'd be looking at some bed rest already! So I guess you could say this was a good, great, PERFECT appointment!!! One of the most exciting things was just having Kingsley there with me. Due to his schedule, he isn't always free to make certain appointments, but he moved things around (I think he knew how much I wanted him there) and it meant alot to have him there with me!! I will go back to the Peri every 5 weeks (so 2, possibly 3 more times).

On a side note.... since they are fraternal twins and I hyper-ovulated, the chances are high that I pass that on to Saylor and her sister and we could have some twins grandchildren in the future.... Lord Willing, of course.

The picture above is classic..... what we thought was our 2nd boy is our little girl laughing at us....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very nice! hahahahaha

Anonymous said...

very clever.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! So excited! xoSun