Monday, September 29, 2008

PUMPKIN Carving time






Sunday, I took the kids to a pumpkin patch. It was opening day so they were giving away free pumpkins to carve, train rides, animal petting etc... the kids had SO much fun and I had fun watching them. Saylor was especially fascinated with the pigs, llama, and goats. Keller loved watching the older boys climb a giant pumpkin and I watched him try a dozen times to climb up too. He thought he was too small, but I convinced him that his muscles were twice as big as the other boys even though they were taller and on his 13th try he climbed to the top. To see the proud face he displayed, just made my day. I've been reading through a book called "That's my son" and it's given me so much insight to "boys". The chapter I read recently was on boys doing crazy things. It challenges mother's to encourage their son's to take those risks, because they will learn to take risks later in life and not depend on "mommy" for security. It basically teaches them to be a leader and not be fearful of making mistakes. Anyway, Keller almost fell twice (which would've been a big fall) but I kept telling him to keep going, not to give up. Once he got to the top, he stood there for a few minutes in all his glory, then lost balance, slid down and rolled down hill. He got up with the biggest grin because he accomplished a difficult task!! I know it seems so trivial, but to his little self absorbed world, it was HUGE....

No comments: