Friday, February 6, 2009

Fetal Monitoring

Today I had my first NST or fetal monitoring. It's basically what they did in the hospital. They hook up 2 monitors and a contraction monitor and just watch everything for 30 minutes. The goal of watching the twins is to get 2 "accelerations" in their heartrate within a certain time period. If I understood technician correctly, it's when the baby's heartrate goes above the baseline and comes back down. It's usually if they are moving. Both babies were very cooperative! We got more than 2 accelerations and were FREE to go!!! The only bad thing was there were 3 contractions in those 25-30 minutes. I'm pretty sure it was a combination of the car drive down and me laying on my back (a position that brings them on frequently). I also had another ultrasound to see their position. Both are still head down with PLENTY of amniotic fluid surrounding them! The technician had me scared for a minute b/c she was looking at the boy and kept saying "Oh look, it's a girl"... I said, "well we thought that was a boy"... she checked both and turns out there is still ONE boy and ONE girl!!!

It took us over 2 hours to get home.... you have to love LA traffic!! The ride was pretty bad! But now I'm back on my "miracle" couch. I say miracle b/c it's the one place my contractions subside (I'm sure it's partly mental on my part as well:)

My next Dr. appointment is on Tuesday with the fetal monitoring following. I'm counting down the days now.....

No comments: